Bienvenue à City College French Blog

Enjoy my blog. Should you have any questions, please contact me through the profile contact.

This is how I see it, Entre les murs

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Second Day of Class

Wednesday September 1, 2010
Day two of teaching.  I was really nervous before my class.  I hate having to break it to an eager 9 people and say, “Sorry… you can’t take my class because we’re overcrowded.” 40 people???!?!?!?
Today: Moss green Banana Republic top with brown low cut express slacks.  Shoes: brown leather high heels.  Jewelry: tiger’s eye pendant that I made in a jewelry class years ago with D’s bracelet to match.  Hair… Curly, with a headband. Make-up: gold and blackish maroon eye make-up.
I worked today at my receptionist job (teaching is only part time) from 8:00am to 4:30 pm, ran home to kiss the cats. Joe picked up my friend Monique from the airport and she sat in my class.
Back to the stress.  So many people want to stay in my class and it’s very hard to pick who can stay and who can’t.  I was doing it on a case by case basis.  One person needs 15 units within 2 semesters and has a family.  Another is trying to immigrate to Quebec.  One of the students is one of my family friends: Hoda.  There goes 3 add codes.
Then I have students that could give a damn about taking French.  A lazy student came up to me and said, “I didn’t get the HW, because you didn’t give it to me.” P.S. I know it’s bull and I flat out informed everyone in the course: If you’re not going to be serious, drop my class.  There are 10 motivated people chomping at the bit.
Now I am debating on how I should deal with this.  I emailed my mentor and asked him if he would recommend that I email current students, telling them that this is not acceptable? Or deal with it because they’re already enrolled… I don’t know what to do and I’m really perturbed.
On Friday, I should grade homework. 
It’s such a shame that I am put in this position.  If it were my choice, I’d drop the ill –prepared students and enroll the students that want to be here.
In a Utopia, this would be the case.  There would also be enough French classes to go around.  So I guess even that would not matter.  Either way, if you’re enrolled, you have the same right to fail as any one has to get an A. It’s up to the student in the end.
I’m off to bed. Tomorrow Monique and I are going to the beach together!

No comments:

Post a Comment