Bienvenue à City College French Blog

Enjoy my blog. Should you have any questions, please contact me through the profile contact.

This is how I see it, Entre les murs

Monday, September 13, 2010

Fourth Day of Class

Monday September 13, 2010

I worked 8+ hours at the receptionist job today and then went to teach at CC.
Clothes: Bisous Bisous brown long sleeved brown top, Alfani grey with blue pinstriped pants, black heels (the oldie but goodie that keeps losing its sole), my fused glass American Flag heart (an artist in Santa Barbara, Shelly Szekely made in 2005).  My little Jewish star necklace... Make-up: brown and frosty eye shadow, eye liner, mascara.  Hair... STRAIGHT.
Walking into class, I said the usual: 'Bonjour tout le monde' and heard a wave of "woahs" from around the room.
A student blurted out, "You straightened your hair!!"
I replied, "Yes."
Another student, with long curly hair said, "I bet that took a few hours."
I said, "Yes."
Everyone laughed.  I don't quite know why, but perhaps my subtle yes made them laugh.  Afterward I said, "Curls are natural and easy. This takes work"
I took role and noted the occasional absence, then tardies and asked the students if they wanted to go over their tests.  Everyone said, "YES" so I went over the tests as my mentor was walking by and I invited him in.  He was about to leave when I asked him to stay for an activity that I planned with numbers (Bonjour 46, je suis 27. Enchanté(e).) With the number cards, they introduce themselves to their partner with the verb être, because we haven't yet learned the verb avoir, and then they exchange their card with their partners and introduce themselves to the next student.  So, they go around saying around 20+ different numbers, depending on the size of the classroom.  My mentor loved the activity and will use it with his students tomorrow.
I also told him that I used his power point in class and when I got to "Qui est-ce? C'est mon ami Paul" Everyone looked at me, like... Really?  He laughed and exclaimed, "Non! C'est MON ami Paul!!"
After class, Eve and Rachel stayed after.  I played them a couple of songs by Coeur de Pirate on youtube, like Comme des Enfants, and Ensemble. They loved the songs, and I'm sure that when they go home, they will probably download Coeur de Pirate's entire album from iTunes.
Hoda made me a spinach cake, a Persian special. It was delectable!

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to sitting and participating in your class! :) No No Vivienne! Ouvre la bouche!

    ReplyDelete